Ma Po Tofu
Serves 4, 14mg of THC per serving estimated
This recipe includes cannabis-infused fat. For ours, we used Kief Butter. Click HERE for the recipe.
• 1 package silken tofu
• 1 cup ground beef
• 2 Tbs cannabis infused fat
• ½ Tbs broad bean paste
• 1 Tbs garlic black bean paste
• 1 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1 tsp peppercorns & Coriander
• 2 chili peppers fresh or dried
• ½ Tbs hot sesame oil
• 2 scallions, sliced fine
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1″ ginger, minced
• Pinch of sugar
• 2 Tbs water
• 1 Tbs cornstarch
• White Rice on the side
• Cilantro for garnish
• Sesame Seeds for garnish
- Cut tofu in small cubes and blanch for one minute in salted water, use a colander to avoid breaking up the cubes. Handle gently, it will be very delicate. A rice paddle is great for scooping up tofu chunks. Stir water and co nstarch together and put aside.
- Toast peppercorns, chili peppers, and pepper flakes in a dry pan until fragrant.
- Grind in a mortar and pestle until powdered.
- Heat hot sesame oil in the pan and add garlic, ginger, and half of the scallions. Add the beef and cook until browned. Stir in pastes, half of the spice mixture, veggie fat and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Slip in the tofu cubes and stir well to incorporate. Simmer mixture for another 5 minutes, stir in cornstarch mixture and simmer 1-2 more minutes until thickened.
- Serve spooned over white rice, garnish with remaining spice powder and scallions and lightly chopped cilantro. Inhale.
I can already hear people worried about the heat/spice levels in my head, but I assure you, with this type of food, adventure is key. This is already adjusted by half! What may initially feel like an assault on your tastebuds becomes a symphony after a few bites to temper the waters. It would really be a tragedy to not experience the wonder and glory that is MaPo Tofu covered in cilantro and scallions or garlic greens.